Learn how to research, build, and deploy cloud-enabled software applications, while navigating the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and collaborating in Agile Scrum teams.
Enroll in a program designed for Amazon employees, now available to Kenzie learners.
Kenzie Academy and Amazon Technical Academy co-developed the Software Engineering Program with Specialization in Backend Java program. This online program prepares you to enter the field of software engineering and pursue a career path as a software development engineer at Amazon, other big tech companies, and startups.
What You’ll Learn
Projects with Real-World Relevance
Complete mastery-based projects based on problems encountered in business application development. You’ll design software systems to solve complex problems.
Flexible Learning Plan
Kenzie Academy is learner-centered, which means you’re given the flexibility to shape your own online learning experience by customizing a schedule with your advisor.
The Learning Experience
This program offers instructional team-facilitated sessions and independent learning opportunities such as topic sessions, Q&A’s, project-based activities, assessments, and more.
Amazon Software Development Engineer (SDE)
You may qualify for a role at Amazon. Although we cannot guarantee you a job at Amazon, we will equip you with the skills and mindset to be successful in the job searching process.
The program covers engineer-specific job skills development, along with interview prep, mentoring, mock interviews, practice problems, and how to talk about algorithms.
- Length: 12 months
- Next Start Date: April 2022
- Tuition: $20,000
- Hours: You and your advisor can build a flexible schedule together
- Program Location: Online, available to U.S. and international learners
- Computer Requirements: View our computer requirements here
- Sample Schedule: The sample schedule here is an example of what your schedule could look like; however, we’ll work with you to make one that works best for you.
Software Engineering Program Details
Specialize in Java:
Java is one of the most widely used programming languages for developing applications to solve business problems. It’s well-documented, which equips you with access to resources to leverage problem solving. Java’s wide usage suggests that there are, and will likely continue to be, many career opportunities for Java developers.
Master Software Engineering:
Learn to develop, build, and maintain computer systems, databases, and applications. You can expect to use systemic, disciplined, and measurable approaches to find efficient solutions to a problem for companies or clients. As you gain experience, you can pursue roles like Java backend developer, DevOps engineer, solutions architect, scrum master, and business analyst.
Accomplish Program Goals:
Curriculum is based on these goals guided by each module: syntax and logic, edge cases and testing, code efficiency, writing code readability and reusability, systems architecture, usability, security, real-world experience, and career readiness. Our Academic team of advisors, facilitators, coaches, and evaluators will help you reach these goals throughout the program.
Benefits of Kenzie vs Other Bootcamps
Get In-Depth Training at Your Own Pace
Unlike coding bootcamps, our 100% online, 12-month software engineering program provides enough time for you to absorb the material, while also shortening the time to graduation compared to traditional four-year programs. By earning the certificate in just one year, you’ll be able to enter the job market and step onto your career path more quickly, while saving money too.
Apply Your Academic Credits Toward a Degree at SNHU
You may be eligible to apply your certificate toward a degree program at Southern New Hampshire University. This is an opportunity to pursue a bachelor’s degree without starting from scratch. Explore a degree like SNHU’s bachelor’s in computer science and speak to your admissions counselor to learn more.
Partner with our Career Services and Employer Engagement Team
Kenzie’s Career Services and Employer Engagement team will walk you through career-readiness training covering interview prep, resume reviews, and more. You’ll partner with an advisor who will offer personalized career guidance, help connect you with employer partners, and advise you on your job search. Our goal is for you to gain the tools to become a confident and excellent candidate.
FOUNDATIONS AND PROGRAM CURRICULUM, CO-DEVELOPED WITH AMAZON ENGINEERS:
Backend web development including:
- Understanding foundational programming concepts including logic and conditionals, equality and comparisons, statistics and math, classes, arrays, strings, loops, and functions
- Developing object-oriented applications in Java using class diagrams
- Handling exceptions when program flow is disrupted
- Leveraging Java Standard Libraries to write objects that hold data and perform a task.
- Designing and utilizing data structures
Computer systems engineering skills including:
- Working as an engineer to solve problems and design software
- Writing code that’s clean and debugging software applications
- Using modern development tools like Intellij IDEA and Git
Once you’ve built your programming foundational skills, you’ll dive deeper into software engineering and software production with a focus on backend programming using Java.
Backend web development including:
- Developing object-oriented applications in Java using abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, and interfaces
- Designing searching and sorting algorithms and gauging their efficiency using Big O notation
- Developing programs using advanced Java concepts including memory management, streams, primitive wrapper classes, and generics, optionals, comparable, and dependency injection
- Using data structures like linked lists, stacks, queues, trees, graphs, and sets within your Java applications
- Maximizing your program’s efficiency by using threading and concurrency with caching, thread safety, futures, executive services, and synchronization
Cloud architecture including:
- Designing and implementing cloud applications
- Designing and developing application programming interfaces (APIs) to reveal developer data and application functionality
- Storing data using relational databases (SQL)
- Designing on-demand applications that allocate computing resources on an as-needed basis
- Using DevOps tools and practices to increase the speed in which software development teams deliver applications including managing computer hardware, deployments, Gradle, web security, metrics, logging, remote debugging, and SSH
- Developing end-to-end solutions deployed on AWS services including DynamoDB, EC2, and Lambda
- Designing tables and indexes and execute efficient queries using DynamoDB
Working as a computer systems software engineer including:
- Developing software within an agile environment focusing on the scrum methodology
- Understanding the software development lifecycle and the role you’ll play within an engineering organization
- Applying integration and unit testing within the software development lifecycle
- Creating test cases against software production requirements before the software is completely developed
- Passing a technical interview including whiteboard sessions through practice problems
- Speaking about your newly developed backend development knowledge within a job interview
Kenzie Academy Alumni Stories
Ryan was teaching psychology at a university, building a business, & hosting a podcast when she decided to pursue a career in tech. Now, she's a Curriculum Software Engineer at CodeHS.
New Job TitleCurriculum
Amanda had been working in the hospitality industry for 20 years when she decided to switch things up. Now she's about to begin her new role as a Junior Python Developer at Remesh.
New Job TitleJunior Python Developer
Enrique was pursuing traditional higher education before he found Kenzie Academy and our 12-month, hands-on Software Engineering program. Now, he's a Data Engineer at Springbuk.
New Job TitleData Engineer
Doug struggled to stick to a singular path - then he found fulfillment in tech. Now, he’s taking the next step in his journey as a Software Engineer at Multiply Technology.
New Job TitleSoftware Engineer
Lea was an attorney, but she decided a career in tech would be more fulfilling. Now, she's started her new career as a Software Engineer at Ion Three and she credits Kenzie's sense of community for guiding her.
New Job TitleFull Stack Software Engineer
Shaquon's Kenzie experience deepened his tech knowledge and gave him leadership experience. He's now an apprentice with Next Chapter, and next he'll have the opportunity to work full-time at a well-known San Francisco-based tech company.
New Job TitleApprentice Software Developer
Kyle loved how tech provides endless opportunities to learn. In his new job as an Associate Software Engineer at Tangoe, he's excited to continue learning new programming languages with his team.
New Job TitleAssociate Software Engineer
About Amazon Technical Academy
Amazon Technical Academy began as an internal training program designed to help non-technical Amazon employees upskill into technical careers. Now, Kenzie Academy is working directly with Amazon to offer Amazon Technical Academy training to the general public to help all learners like you gain software engineering knowledge and skills, so you can advance in the tech field as a software development engineer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely not! We’re looking for self-starters who are curious about technology and like working with diverse groups of people. Our learners are driven problem-solvers who can handle when things get tough and who enjoy being part of a collaborative tech community. Kenzie is open to all applicants with a good attitude, eagerness to learn, ability to adapt, and enthusiasm for gaining new knowledge and skills.
Our courses are offered 100% online only to provide you with flexibility and the ability to self-pace your learning according to your schedule.
The number of hours you can work depends on how efficiently you manage your time, and how much time you need to put into your coursework. Every learner learns at a different pace, and our advisors can work with you to plan your schedule so you can better balance work and learning. We recognize that many of our learners need a job and income while attending Kenzie. Therefore, we intentionally designed this online program to accommodate the work and busy schedules of our learners.
You’ll earn a Software Engineering – Backend Development Certificate. The Software Engineering program is not a degree program. There is a growing list of employers today that no longer require degrees for developers and other tech adjacent roles. By earning your certificate, you’ll save time and money by only learning the skills that are relevant to a job in the field of software engineering.
Upcoming Start Dates:
- April 2022
Apply now to speak with an Admissions Counselor to determine the best time for you to start!